HISTORY AND ENVIRONMENTAL BENEFITS
Natural Mosaic Tiles are made from reclaimed wood from Vietnamese fishing boats. The wood selected to build ships is unique in many ways. It must grow for hundreds of years before it is sturdy enough to use as Ship Wood. The tree encounters rains and storms, becoming old growth heartwood that is much more stable and dry than the typical “sap” wood found today. This wood is used to build wooden ships that endure even more years of exposure to the sea and the elements. Eventually, these ships are retired but rather than making them landfill the wood is reused (reclaimed). Reclaimed wood is distinguished from recycled wood or reused wood in that it is usually remanufactured in some manner for reuse in a new form. It is transformed from one incarnation to the next. In this case wood goes from ship to mosaic wood tiles, mosaic wall tiles, or wood ceiling tiles
Environmental Benefits of using All Natural Wall Covering and Wood Tiles
- Most virgin forests are gone or inaccessible, making reclaimed wood the only way to get this quality of wood without cutting down any existing trees.
- Using Reclaimed wood has become a more and more desirable choice amongst builders, homeowners, and business owners as it is a socially responsible green building material.
- All of our Wall Coverings are PVC free, contain recycled content and are made from rapidly renewable resources.
- By partnering with a small furniture company, we work together to reclaim this old ship wood, using the pieces of too small to be used in fine furniture making to make mosaic wood tiles.
- The use of these Reclaimed Wood Tiles can contribute to LEED points* in the following categories:
LEED category: Materials and Resources: Recycled Content,Indoor Environmental Quality Credit: Low Emitting Materials: Adhesives and Sealants and Paints and Coatings,Materials and Resources Credit: Rapidly Renewable Materials
*Note: The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System represents the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGB’s) effort to provide a national standard for what constitutes a “green building”. USGBC or LEED does not certify building products but rather provides a standard by which a building can be rated and certified as green.
- Since our tiles are approximately 75% lighter than traditional tile & stone and are not fragile, they use less packing material and require less energy and expense to ship.
- 100% of our natural wall coverings are made from sustainable materials. Our Mosaic Wood Tiles are made from Old Ship Wood, reclaimed from Vietnamese fishing boats. Our Natural Wall Coverings are made from reclaimed and rapidly renewing resources such as Coconut, Cork , and High Density Fiber